VI BOMBER COMMAND
IN DEFENSE OF THE PANAMA CANAL
1941 - 45
Areas of Interest:
VI Bombardment Command History:
6th BGp (Heavy)
3rd BS (Heavy)
29th BS (Heavy)
74th BS (Heavy)
397th BS (Heavy)
9th BGp (Heavy)
1st BS (Heavy)
5th BS (Heavy)
99th BS (Heavy)
430th BS (Heavy)
25th BGp (Medium)
12th BS (Medium)
35th BS (Medium)
59th BS (Medium)
417th BS (Medium)
40th BGp (Heavy)
25th BS (Heavy)
44th BS (Heavy)
45th BS (Heavy)
395th BS (Heavy)
Units Attached to VI Bomber Command
10th BS (Heavy)
15th BS (Light)
Units Attached to the VI Bomber Command
The 10th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), GHQ Air Force, Captain Alva L. Harvey, commanding, was activated February 1, 1940, at Langley Field, Virginia, pursuant to authority contained in Letter, AG 320.2 (11-14-39) (Ret) M C, War Department, December 22, 1939, Subject: "Constitution and Activation of Certain Air Corps Units." The 10th Bomb Squadron, along with its sister Squadrons, the 12th, 35th, and Headquarters, was assigned to the 25th Bombardment Group. At the outset, the 10th consisted of nine officers, 144 enlisted men. Seventeen (17) enlisted men were shortly thereafter transferred in from the Air Base Squadron at Langley Field, making a total of 161. It had at its disposal four airplanes- - two B-17Bs and two B-18As. Located, together with the 12th and 35th Squadrons, in the lighter-than-air hangar, it underwent a routine tactical training program.
On March 19, 1940, 25 enlisted men were transferred to the 10th Bombardment Squadron from the 99th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), Mitchel Field, New York, bringing the squadron strength up to 9 officers and 200 enlisted men. The squadron was now about up to full strength and operating very efficiently with the morale of the men being excellent. The squadron performed usual garrison duties and flights.
Eight officers and 11 enlisted men flew from Langley Field to Barksdale Field, LA, on May 21, to participate in the 3rd Army Maneuvers. The group returned on May 25.
On August 5, 1940, with Captain Harvey in command, 11 officers and eight enlisted men left Langley Field by air, for Selfridge Field, Michigan, to take part in the 2nd Wing maneuvers. The remaining Squadron personnel were either on leave, absent on detached service, or temporarily set up as the 10th Bombardment Squadron Detachment in Langley Field under the command of 1st.Lt. Bell, Capt. Harvey having been placed in command of the Squadron's maneuver element. The squadron took part in the maneuvers, which continued until August10. It effectively performed the bombing missions assigned to it, and was credited with the "capture" of Detroit, Michigan. On August10, the squadron returned to Langley Field and recovered its full personnel.
On October 26, the squadron was transferred to Borinquen Field, Puerto Rico, for a permanent change of Station. Captain Harvey assumed command of the 25th Bomb Group, leaving the squadron under the command of 1st.Lt. Maurice M. Miller. The organization departed Langley Field, Virginia, for Newport News, Virginia, at 3:30 AM, October 26, sailing from there aboard the USAT "Hunter Liggett," and stopping briefly at Charleston, SC, to bring aboard the 24th Air Base Group which was also scheduled for permanent Station at Borinquen Field. The squadron arrived in San Juan, PR, on the afternoon of October 31, remaining aboard the "Hunter Liggett" overnight.
On the morning of November 1, the squadron disembarked and departed for Borinquen Field by troop train. Upon the Squadron's arrival in San Juan, PR, one officer and eight enlisted men were dispatched to Borinquen Field to make necessary arrangements for accommodating the Squadron.
The flight echelon, comprised of eight officers and 13 enlisted men commanded by Captain Clark, departed Langley Field for Borinquen Field by air on the morning of November 1, 1940, making brief stops at Miami and Camaquey, Cuba, for fuel, and arriving at Borinquen Field, PR, on the afternoon of November 3.
Upon its arrival a Borinquen Field, the squadron was quartered in four one-story temporary barracks, and fed in the 35th Squadron-operated mess, until a 10th Bomb Squadron-operated mess could be started.
The 10th Squadron was now equipped with four B-18As and one A-17 airplanes.
Captain Harvey was relieved from command of the Group, and again assumed command of the 10th Squadron.
The total strength of the organization was seven officers and 195 enlisted men.
Captain Harvey was promoted to Major.
The squadron performed routine garrison duties and patrol duties.
Major Harvey was once more relieved from command of the 10th Squadron on June 1, so that he might take command of the 25th Bombardment Group. Again, 1st.Lt. Maurice M. Miller took over the duties of Squadron Commander, 10th Bombardment Squadron(Heavy).
In the ensuing months, the squadron continued to perform garrison and patrol duties, and simultaneously to develop a well-rounded training program.
Its average strength for the five preceding months had been 16 officers and 200 enlisted men.
On December 11, 1941, the squadron suffered a severe loss as the result of a plane crash. The plane, which had been piloted by 1st.Lt. Miller crashed at sea on December 11, at approximately 5:50 AM, somewhere between Mona Passage and Santo Domingo. Lt. Miller, the Squadron's commanding officer, lost. his life, as did the other crew members- - 2d.Lt. Walker, 2d.Lt. Hutchins, SSgt. Brown, Sgt. Tilton, Cpl. Papa, and Pfc. Hoffman and Pfc. Gonzales.
The new commanding officer, 1st.Lt. Matthew J. McKeever, Jr., arrived on December 12, and immediately plunged into his duties.
Strength of the squadron at that time was 16 officers and 160 enlisted men.
In February 1942, a two-sheet mimeographed "newspaper" appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, in Group Headquarters Squadron. It bore the name "Air-It." The little two-pager grew into "Bomber Bits," a semi-monthly, the Squadron's official publication which recorded the social and sports activities of officers and enlisted men.
TSgt. J. G. Blake was assigned to the squadron buy transfer from the 36th Pursuit Group, Losey Field, PR, on April 2.
Cpl. Senters and Pvts. Brennan, Cochran, Davis, Stoddard, Ruth, Schroeder, Mundis, Butler, Reyman, Baer, Bennett, Bowman, Cooper, Ervin, Foe, Fulton, Green, Grisham, Gwinn, Harrington, Hasty, Hendrick, Hortman, Irons, Irwin, Johnston, Kaiser, Kennedy, and Nelson were assigned to the squadron by transfer from Casual Detachment, Borinquen Field, PR, on April 5.
Captain Alvan N. Moore was assigned on April 8.
SSgt. Hildebrandt was assigned by transfer from the 1st.Mapping Group, Washington, DC, on April 23. Pvts. James, Goodin, Hadley, Hugelen, JohnSt.on, Kerber, Kovalchick, Lewis, Greenhut, Gonzales, Grooms, Logan, Holman, Jacobs, Keskes, Lasater, Magers, and McGlon were transferred in from Casual Detachment, Borinquen Field, PR, on April 27.
Strength of the squadron on April 30, 1942 was 16 officers and 204 enlisted men.
The 25th Bombardment Group, when it was activated, was designated "heavy" bombardment and assigned B-17-type aircraft which were later exchanged for the B-18 type. The 25th Bomb Group (Heavy) and its Squadrons, because they no longer were assigned heavy bombardment aircraft, were redesignated "medium" bombardment units on May 7, 1942.
TSgt. Matvay was assigned by transfer from the 12th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), St. Croix, VI, on May 16.
On June 27, at a Squadron party, Captain Alva M. Moore presented MSgt. Keuhl with the Air Mechanic's Emblem of the Brazilian Army Air Force .
Major Matthew J. McKeever, Jr., was relieved from command of the 10th Squadron on July 7, and appointed Group Operations Officer, 25th Bomb Group. Captain Alvan N. Moore assumed command of the squadron on July 8.
MSgt. Clarence D. Green was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross on July 21 for participation in a round-the- world flight in a heavy bomber, with Colonel Alva L. Harvey, Commanding Officer, 25th Bomb Group, as pilot, and Sgt. Green the aerial engineer. A Distinguished Service Cross was likewise awarded to Col. Harvey. The flight encompassed 26,000 miles, and its lapsed time was 121 hours and 55 minutes. The decoration was presented to MSgt. Green by Brigadier General Edwin I. House, the Commanding General of the Antilles Air Task Force.
MSgt. Clarence D. Green was transferred to the Air Transport Command, Atkinson Field, British Guiana, on July 22, 1942.
From August to November 1942 when the "new" 10th Squadron was constituted, the 10th worked with the RAF's 53rd Squadron in patrolling the submarine-infested waters of the Caribbean to keep the sea-lanes open to Allied shipping. During the months of November and December 1942, using its complement of nine B-18s, it flew on 33 convoy-coverage missions, totaling 174 hours; 22 convoy-sweeps totaling 101 hours; 79 anti-submarine sweeps and hunts totaling 393 hours, and 94 Bauxite and other tactical patrols totaling 408 hours- - an overall total of 228 missions and 1076 hours.
The squadron continued to operate at Borinquen Field, PR, until November 1, 1942, when it was transferred, minus equipment and personnel, except for several officers, to Edinburgh Field, Trinidad, British West Indies. The officers who were transferred along with the squadron included Major McKeever, Capt. Alden Robblee, Capt. Harry Goldsworthy, and Lts Maurice T. Dunklin, Edwin I. Boyd, James E. Christensen, Fleming, Roy Snyder, Tex Cardner, Robert Keating, and Porter Williams.
The "new" 10th Bombardment Squadron was now comprised of men who had formerly made up the 1st.Bomb Squadron, a part of the 9th Bomb Group which was transferred back to the United States on October 31, 1942, minus its personnel and equipment, and the 11 previously mentioned officers from the "old" 10th.
On November 1, 1942, when the "new" 10th Bombardment Squadron came under the command of Major Howard Cheney, it consisted of 18 officers and 311 enlisted men. Major Cheney retained command for only a few days, and was relieved on November 4 by Capt. Donald K. Brandon.
Operating from its base at Edinburgh Field, the 10th continued to conduct anti-submarine activity, a responsibility inherited from the 1st.Bomb Squadron. Guided by Col. Charles P. Born, Commanding Officer of the Trinidad Detachment, XXXVI Fighter Command, a veteran of this kind of warfare, the Squadron's complement of B-18s proved to be a very effective unit.
Captain Brandon was relieved as Squadron Commander on December 10, 1942 by Capt. Richard Gunckel, who, in turn, was relieved by Major H. K. Gilbert on December 15.
The squadron participated in an alert- air raid practice and blackout- on December 1, and another on December 9, 1942.
By the end of December 1942, the squadron had grown to a strength of 43 officers and 334 enlisted men, the additional personnel having been shipped in from time to time directly from the States.
Major Matthew J. McKeever, who had commanded the "old" 10th at Borinquen Field, succeeded Major Gilbert as Squadron Commander, 10th Bomb Squadron, on January 8, 1943.
On January 18, 1943, the squadron took part in three-day maneuvers of the Trinidad Sector. In the "battle," which was considered to have begun at 5:15 AM on the 18th when the Manzanilla Point Observation Post. was fired upon by "hostile" navy units, the planes of the 10th bombed "enemy" installations, strafed its units, and conducted reconnaissance flights behind "enemy" lines. The maneuvers were completed at 11:30 AM on January 21.
The base was alerted again on February 2, from 1:15 PM to 4:45 PM; there were no developments. On February 12, there was a blackout from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM, and on February 14, the squadron participated in an exercise maneuver, which lasted from 6:30 AM to 11:42 AM. There were maneuvers again on February 23 when four "enemy" P-39s attacked the base.
Col. Charles F. Born, then in command of the 25th Bomb Group, commended the maintenance personnel on March 1 for their excellent airplane maintenance record. An air raid alert took place on March 30.
On April 20, all passes were canceled in preparation for maneuvers, which began at 12:30 AM on April 21 with an alert called against. An attack by the 33rd Infantry and the 135th Engineers. At 1:30 AM that night the Edinburgh Field Air Raid Signal was sounded and the Squadron's alert plan was set in motion. At 4:59 AM, heavy "enemy" gunfire began to tell on the vastly outnumbered troops defending the base; and at 6:45 AM when the umpire declared that the base had been taken, the all-clear was sounded. General Summers gave a critique of the maneuvers on April 23.
The squadron took part in a Command Post. Maneuver on April 28, beginning at 7:25 AM, when it was reported that a group of armed men, not in uniform, had gathered on the outskirts of the field. The maneuver ended with the all-clear at 9:55 AM.
Capt. Harry Goldsworthy succeeded Major McKeever on May 4, 1943. Capt. Goldsworthy was followed by Capt. Alden Robblee on May 14, and on May 23, Capt. Poage assumed command of the organization.
On June 20, 1943, 59 enlisted men were returned to the United States for reassignment, and were replaced by 56 men from the States. Of the 56 replacements, three had traveled the long and hard way, and their arrival was regarded as a somewhat extraordinary occasion. These three- - Pvts. Sam Schein, Edward McCarron, and Eliot Leonard, had shipped out of New Orleans in a crash-boat on which they served as gunners. They were 54 days in reaching Trinidad.
Captain Oren J. Poage was promoted to Major on July 11.
On August14, Brigadier General Lyons awarded the Air Medal to officers and men for having flown more than 200 combat hours, and the Oak Leaf Cluster to those having flown more than 400 combat hours. At the head of those receiving both awards was Major Oren J. Poage, Commanding Officer of the 10th Bomb Squadron.
For the period beginning November 1942, when the "new" 10th Squadron was constituted, and ending September 30, 1943, the squadron performed 248 convoy coverage missions involving 1393 flying hours, 68 convoy sweeps (345 hours), 394 anti-submarine sweeps and hunts (2023 hours), 541 Bauxite and other patrols (2102 hours), making a grand total for that 11-month period of 1251 missions (5863 hours). During the greater part of the period under consideration, the squadron had at its disposal only nine B-18s. Beginning with August, it used both B-18s and B-25s (7 of the former and 6 of the latter in August, and 8 of the former and 6 of the latter in September).
The Tenth was transferred to Waller Field, Trinidad, on October 1, 1943.
On October 20, Brigadier General Lyons awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross to the crew members of the B-18 called the "Robust Man," piloted by Lt. Milton Wiederhold, who attacked and sunk a U-boat on August7. The presentation ceremony took place on the aircraft parking ramp at Waller Field. Receiving the awards at the ceremony were 2d.Lt. Paul E. DeWeerdt (Co-Pilot), 1st.Lt. Edwin I. Boyd (Navigator), 2d.Lt. William F. Abrams, Jr. (Bombardier), SSgt. James E. Edwards (Gunner), and Sgt. Robert E. Medley (Engineer). The pilot, 1st.Lt. Milton L. Wiederhold, and TSgt. Edward J. Juskulski, radio operator, were on leave at the time of the presentation and were, therefore, honored in absentia.
The 10th Bombardment Squadron was now undergoing an intensive training program for combat duty. In the course of that program, 44 officers and 124 enlisted men received high altitude pressure-chamber training at Borinquen Field, PR, during the months of July, August, September, and October 1943. The squadron was also carrying through the training program of the 25th Bomb Group, as outlined in Circular 9-1, dated November 4, 1943. The program included courses intended for the training of all crew members, and specific training for each crew member in the techniques of his specific job. With the assumption by the Navy of all the responsibility for anti-submarine warfare in the area, the training program had become the major preoccupation of the Squadron, and all efforts were directed at making it a success.
During the month of October, the squadron relinquished one B-18, and, in November, the remaining 8, leaving no B-18s, its equipment consisting of 14 B-25s (10 Gs and 3 Ds).
On November 21, Major Oren J. Poage, Commanding Officer, left the squadron to take command of the 35th Bomb Squadron, 25th Bomb Group. As a tribute, an escort of six planes in formation accompanies the Major on the first leg of his flight. Captain Arthur D. Rhodes, Operations Officer, succeeded Major Poage as Commanding Officer, and immediately assumed the supervision of the intensive training program which his predecessor had initiated.
The 10th Bombardment Squadron was attached to the VI Bomber Command on December 13, 1943, and assigned to the latter organization on December 17, 1943, with duty Station at France Field, CZ.
Six B-25Gs were transferred to the squadron on December 10, four from the 59th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) and two from the 417th Bombardment Squadron (Medium). Simultaneously, the squadron relinquished three B-25Ds, one each to the 59th, 12th, and 35th Bomb Squadrons. The one B-18 that the squadron had received on November 26 was transferred to the 417th Bomb Squadron. The transaction changed the Squadron's strength in operational planes from the previous figure of 10 B-25Gs, three B-25Ds, and one B-18, to a total of 16 B-25Gs.
The intensive training program initiated by Major Poage was continued under Captain Rhodes until December 10, 1943, when instructions were received notifying the squadron that it was being transferred to France Field, Canal Zone, and instructing them to report to the new base without delay.
In compliance with orders directing the squadron to proceed to France Field, Canal Zone, without delay, 12 B-25Gs with a complement of 26 officers and 40 enlisted men took off from Walker Field, and four B-25Gs with a complement of 10 officers and 15 enlisted men took off from Borinquen Field, almost simultaneously, on the morning of December 11. Later that day, all but two of those, which had come from Waller Field, landed at France Field. These two had stopped over at Hato Field, Curacao, for minor repairs. One arrived on December 12; and the other on December 13. Of the 10 earlier planes, one was damaged in landing and was turned over to Base Engineering for repairs. The number of operational planes was thus reduced to 15. The balance of the Squadron's personnel was subsequently brought to France Field in ATC transports.
Upon its arrival at France Field, the squadron learned that it would be engaged in anti-submarine patrol activity, operating under the control of Fleet Air Wing Three, US Navy, Coco Solo. It launched its anti-submarine program on December 15, 1943, with a skeleton force of 45 officers and 129 enlisted men. Although handicapped until January 1, 1944, by the shortage of men and by the problems involved in establishing itself, the squadron flew, between December 1, 1993 and January 1, 1944, 87 anti-submarine sweeps (325 hours) and one convoy coverage mission of four hours. At the same time, the Squadron's training program was not neglected. It flew, during the same period, a total of 60 non-tactical missions (101 hours' flying time) consisting of bombing and gunnery missions and administrative flights to Albrook Field.
Squadron strength on December 31, 1943 was 59 officers and 302 enlisted men.
During the period January 1-15, 1944, an echelon of four LB-30s from the 397th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) and a detachment of officers and enlisted men were attached to the 10th for maintenance, rations, quarters, and administration. Working in conjunction with the 10th, and under the operational control of Fleet Air Wing 3, the 397th echelon flew two convoy missions (14 hours), and 13 anti-submarine sweeps (37 hours, 35 minutes). With the departure of the LB-30s, an echelon of five B-24s, 19 officers and 63 enlisted men from the 74th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) were detached from their Squadron at Guatemala City, and attached to the 10th Bombardment Squadron for maintenance, rations, quarters, and administration. Three of the 74th's B-24Ds arrived at France Field with a complement of 12 officers and 33 enlisted men on January 15, 1944. The remaining two B-24Ds and personnel arrived January 22, 1944. The 74th echelon flew 38 non-tactical missions covering a total of 70 hours during the period of operation with the 10th.
The unceasing job of assisting Fleet Air Wing 3 in keeping down the submarine menace in the Atlantic continued during the month of January. By the end of the month, the squadron had added 104 anti-submarine sweeps (402 hours) to its previous total of 87 sweeps (325 hours), plus one convoy-coverage mission (4 hours) for the period December 15, 1943 through January 31, 1944.
The training program, consisting of bombing and gunnery, transition, formation, administrative, and formation flights, was fully underway. The squadron flew 210 non-tactical missions (326 flying hours) in January, making an overall total of 270 non-tactical missions (427 hours) for the period December 1943 through January 31, 1944.
The squadron was placed on a preliminary alert on January 15, 1944, in anticipation of orders to participate in maneuvers. All members of the squadron were confined to the post, and all planes held in readiness. On January 18, at 11:52 PM, a radio message was received from VI Bomber Command calling upon the squadron to be alerted for operations at dawn. A bomb load of 1,000 pounds was called for and the target was described as an aircraft carrier. The target was found, and B-25s of the 10th Bomb Squadron, in formation with B-17s, B-24s, and LBs, participated in the attack. The target was ruled "sunk." The maneuvers completed, the planes of the 10th Bombardment Squadron returned to base. A further message, received at 4:19 PM on the 18th, ordered a normal alert status resumed.
The squadron experienced one aircraft accident in January. On January 27, Lt. Robert Hunter, flying a bombing and gunnery mission at Manzanillo Point in B-25G, 42-64885, made a forced landing in Gatun Lake when the right engine of the ship stopped because a large bird was ingested into the air scoop. The entire crew of the plane, consisting of Lt. Hunter, Lt. Cole (Co-Pilot), SSgt. Mank (Radio Operator), SSgt. Phillips (Gunner), and SSgt. Green (Engineer), escaped safely. The plane was raised from the lake, and transferred to base engineering for repairs.
The organization's strength at the end of January 1944 was 57 officers and 302 enlisted men, of whom five officers and 11 enlisted men were absent on furlough or in the hospital. Nineteen (19) officers and 63 enlisted men from the 74th, four enlisted men from the 397th Bomb Squadron, and three enlisted men from the 3rd Bombardment Squadron also were attached to the 10th Bombardment Squadron as of January 31, 1944.
The B-25Gs of the squadron did not prove to be well adapted to operations in the Caribbean area. Their range and radius of action were limited, and the value of the plane in over-water operations was seriously restricted by its lack of radar equipment. Furthermore, the 75-mm cannon of the B-25G restricted its use to minimum altitudes only. Because of these factors, it was felt that the 10th Squadron could be spared in this area (Ltr., Col. E. M. Day, CO, VI BC, February 24, 1944, Subj.: "Release of B-25 Medium Bomber Squadron," to CG, 6th AF.). In April 1944, the squadron was ordered to return to the United States.
The ground echelon of the 10th Bombardment Squadron departed France Field, Canal Zone, pursuant to Troop Movement Orders No. 5, Headquarters, Panama Canal Department, Quarry Heights, Canal Zone, dated April 21, 1944. The ground echelon proceeded to Howard Field, Canal Zone, by Quartermaster truck convoy, and reported to the Commanding Officer of the 10th Statistical Control Unit. On May 1944, the Ground Echelon embarked at Pier 18, Balboa, Canal Zone, on the S.S. William M. Evarts, United States Army Transport (Liberty Ship), together with other personnel. The ship proceeded through the Panama Canal and anchored within the breakwaters at Cristobal, Canal Zone, on the same day. The Ground Echelon aboard the William M. Evarts departed Cristobal at approximately 1215 Q and proceeded to Guantanamo, Cuba, arriving May 13, 1944. After a 48-hour delay at anchor, the ship proceeded to New Orleans, LA, and the Ground Echelon debarked about 0800, May 20, 1944
The Air Echelon departed France Field, Canal Zone, on May 8, 1944, enroute to Brownsville, Texas, with overnight stop at San Jose, Guatemala. B-25H, No. 43-4557, piloted by Lt. Hunter, was lost. In weather over the Pacific Ocean, approximately 45 minutes fly time southeast of San Jose, Guatemala. After careful search, only wreckage and debris that identified the missing plane was found. The following personnel aboard the aircraft were killed in the crash: Capt. Alfred M. Moore (Intel Off), 1st.Lt. Robert R. Hunter (Pilot), 1st.Lt. John W. Prunty (Navigator), TSgt. William J. Svedas (Crew Chief), TSgt. Robert T. Mank (Radio Operator), SSgt. William Green (Aerial Engineer), and Cpl. Charles J. Stultz (Gunner). The Air Echelon departed from San Jose, Guatemala, at dawn on May 9, and flew into Vera Cruz, Mexico, at 11:00 AM on the same date. At approximately 12:15, fourteen planes departed for Brownsville, Texas. One aircraft, B-25G, 42-5007, returned to Vera Cruz due to engine trouble, after 30 minutes of flight, where it remained overnight. Thirteen (13) planes arrived at Brownsville, Texas, about 1:30 PM, and remained overnight. B-25G, 42-5007, arrived at 3:00 PM on May 10, and necessary engine repairs were made.
The Squadron, upon its arrival in Brownsville, was reassigned to the Second Air Force with Station at Lincoln Army Air Field, Lincoln, Nebraska. At 10:00 AM on May 11, the Air Echelon departed Brownsville, and arrived at Brooks Field, San Antonio, Texas at 11:30 AM, where the aircraft were delivered to Headquarters, Army Air Forces Pilots School (Advanced 2-Engine School). The officers and enlisted men were then given delays enroute with orders to report to LAAF, Lincoln, Nebraska.
By Special Orders No. 125, Paragraph 2, Army Service Forces, Jackson Barracks Area, New Orleans, LA, dated May 20, 1944, the Ground Echelon, less the officers and enlisted men on leave, proceeded by troop train to Lincoln, Nebraska, arriving May 25, 1944.
General Orders No. 5a, Headquarters Second Air Force, Colorado Springs, Colorado, May 11, 1944, provided for the inactivation of the Tenth Bombardment Squadron (Medium) upon its arrival at LAAF, Lincoln, Nebraska.
By Special Order No. 64 (Paragraph 16), Headquarters, Lincoln Army Air Field, Lincoln, Nebraska, dated May 30, 1944, all personnel, except Capt. Charles B. Neville, Executive Officer; TSGT. William G. Wilson, Sgt. Eliot Leonard, and Cpl. Gilbert R. Armstrong, were transferred in grade to the Second Air Force Classification-Routing Pool, LAAF, Lincoln, Nebraska.
WD, AGO Ltr., Subj. redesignated the 1st.Pursuit Squadron (Night Fighter) as the 15th Bombardment Squadron (Light): Redesignation of Air Corps Units, May 7, 1942. The referenced letter stated that the 15th Bombardment Squadron (Light) would remain a separate Squadron until such time as it may be assigned to a bombardment group.