VI BOMBER COMMAND

IN DEFENSE OF THE PANAMA CANAL

1941 - 45

Areas of Interest:

VI Bombardment Command History:


Unit Histories:


6th BGp (Heavy)
  3rd BS (Heavy)
  29th BS (Heavy)
  74th BS (Heavy)
  397th BS (Heavy)

9th BGp (Heavy)
  1st BS (Heavy)
  5th BS (Heavy)
  99th BS (Heavy)
  430th BS (Heavy)

25th BGp (Medium)
  12th BS (Medium)
  35th BS (Medium)
  59th BS (Medium)
  417th BS (Medium)

40th BGp (Heavy)
  25th BS (Heavy)
  44th BS (Heavy)
  45th BS (Heavy)
  395th BS (Heavy)


Units Attached to VI Bomber Command
  10th BS (Heavy)
  15th BS (Light)

Crew Pictures:

U-Boat Sinkings:

Aircraft Crashes:

Home:


UNIT HISTORIES

9th Bombardment Group (Heavy)

1st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy)

Organized as the 1st Provisional Aero Squadron on March 5, 1913, the organization was redesignated the 1st Observation Squadron on January 25, 1923, and assigned to the 9th Observation Group (later the 9th Bombardment Group) on February 15, 1929, with duty Station at Mitchel Field, NY. The 1st Observation Squadron was redesignated the 1st Bombardment Squadron, March 1, 1935; 1st Bombardment Squadron (Medium), December 6, 1939; and the 1st Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on November 20, 1940. The 1st Bombardment Squadron accompanied the 9th Bombardment Group when the latter organization was transferred to the Panama Canal Department in September 1940. The 1st Bombardment Squadron was initially Stationed at Rio Hato, R. de P., and was next moved to Piarco Airport, Trinidad, April 24, 1941; Waller Field, Trinidad, October 29, 1941; and Edinburgh Field, Trinidad, on August23, 1942, remaining at Edinburgh Field until the 9th Bombardment Group, less its personnel and equipment, was transferred to Orlando, Florida, on September 29, 1942. The personnel left in Trinidad by the departing 9th Group were obsorbed by the 25th Bombardment Group.

Top  1st BS  5th BS  99th BS   430th BS   Home

icon